Tuesday, February 9, 2016

I Have a Dream That Everyone's a Winner (Part 3)

Ultimately, despite whatever I've said here in this rant, I honestly couldn't care less about the Oscars. I've always viewed the Awards themselves as rather just an appeal to semantics. Not to mention the fact that the whole thing feels like one great big Hollywood circle-jerk. Plus when you get right down to it, films are subjective and open to interpretation. Just as any form of art is. Each of us has our own opinions as to what qualifies a great movie. One man's Big Hero 6 is another man's The LEGO Movie as some would say. So I don't really see myself taking anything these old farts over at the Awards say as seriously as others might. I'd say let the people decide. Because ultimately, it's up to them.

However, if the Oscars are to continue - and they'll continue irregardless of my opinions towards them, I would imagine, nay, I would hope that they stay true to the meritocratic nature of what the Awards are supposed to represent. Something of which Michael Caine and I seem to be in agreement about.

“You can’t vote for an actor because he’s black. You can’t just say, ‘I’m going to vote for him. He’s not very good, but he’s black. I’ll vote for him.’ You have to give a good performance.”

He then continues with a bit of wisdom “... be patient. Of course it will come,” he said. “It took me years to get an Oscar.”


I'd like to think that Leonardo DiCaprio has taken this advice to heart himself. But I digress.

We live in an age of instant gratification. Virtually anything we could possibly want can be ours in relatively little to no time at all. And as such, we've grown accustomed to having things our way, everyday twenty four seven. Gone are the days of humility and patience. In are the days of narcissism and impatience. And believe me, I'm certainly guilty of the latter. I'm open to admitting that character flaw. A key skill you become accustomed to while working in Stop-Motion animation (or Brickfilming in my case) is in fact, patience. Because when it takes almost an entire day to shoot a minutes worth of animation, you have to be pretty patient through the entire process.

We need to abandon this idea that everyone's a winner and that there are no losers. Some people will succeed in life, while others will not. It's a harsh reality to accept, believe me I know, but it's not something we can just brush off so easily. We're not entitled to something simply because we feel that the world owes us. Because in the grand scheme of things, the world doesn't owe you jack with a side of shit. You're not entitled to respect anymore then you are recognition. Like everyone else on this rock, you have to earn it.

As for the whether or not society itself is systematically racist against ethnic minorities, as both Lupita Nyong'o and Mark Kerfufflo seem to believe, I'd like to close this three part series of rants with an excerpt from an interview with Morgan Freeman by CNN's Don Lemon. Take notes Spike Lee.



And that my fellow Internets, is why he's God.