Friday, February 5, 2016

Freedom of Speech Decoded: A Response to Franny Ramsey


Franchesca Ramsey. You may remember her name being mentioned in my previous rant, I Have a Dream That Everyone's a Winner (Part 2). As I recall I described her as being a - oh what was it? Ah yes! I believe it was, "pseudo-intellectual harpy" Well zippity-doo-dah, turns out a mere three days before I published that very article, she came out with a video entitled: Is PC Culture Anti-Free Speech? Where she inquisitively inquires, "Is PC culture destroying freedom of speech?"

Do I even need to answer that question? Seems to me that the answer's pretty obvious. Well, regardless, I'm going to answer that question right here and now. While also rebutting a few of her arguments.


This, is your brain on Social Justice.
Any questions?
Now it's no secret that I absolutely loathe the term "political correctness" In fact the most I ever talked about it was in my Why So Serious?: The Problem With Political Correctness in Comedy rant. Well this time it isn't about comedy, even though certain folks I'll be quoting later on certainly have their ties to comedy. No. This is about speech in general. Free speech as some would call it.

After giving her definition of the term - and make no mistake it is her definition, she states that political correctness is about "avoiding words or behaviors that exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against. Basically, treating people with respect." But only women and minorities. Not those pesky cis-white heterosexual men. Pfft, why should they be entitled to respect? After all, they're the oppressors. They've yet to be enlightened by our divine revelation. They're not human like we are. She said while sipping her pumpkin spice latte while reading an article from TheMarySue on her iPad.

First off: "... treating people with respect." I can think of a few things wrong with that sentence.

Thing is, I don't respect people out of some inherent need to show respect simply because "it's the right thing to do" To quote one of my favorite episodes of Marvel's Daredevil, when it comes to respect, "You have to earn it." Simply walking up to me and demanding my immediate respect won't automatically grant you such a privilege. You have to prove to me that you've earned that right. You're not entitled to it merely because of your gender, skin color, age, status, or position. I'll at the very least show you the same level of courtesy as I do with any other human being, but respect only comes if it's earned. Do not attempt to conflate "courtesy" with "respect" Franny. Especially while talking down to me like one of your kool-aid swilling drones.

And to be perfectly honest with you Franny; I don't like you enough to respect you. Let alone tolerate your indignant racist attitude.

Then we get this little gem: "Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences."

You are correct. Those of us who use our freedom to speak freely or express ourselves however we so choose, do so with the knowledge that there may be consequences for our actions. We do so knowingly while accepting the responsibilities that comes with such a right.

So if I were to call you a bitch, I would accept the consequences that would come with making such a obscene remark. Though for the record, I do think you're a bitch. An ignorant and disingenuous bitch if that.


Look mommy, I made up words!
"Political correctness is expanding free speech. We're adding new words to the dictionary every year."

Really?! Do you honestly think that that's what going on? I swear, I'm gonna need chemo to get rid of the cancer cells now growing in my brain for reading that statement.

And another thing, those examples of "new words" being added to the dictionary (NOTE: The Oxford Dictionary, which might as well be the official dictionary of Tumblr at this point) ARE NOT FUCKING WORDS. Mansplain, micro-aggressions, agender, and genderfluid, are not recognized words of the English lexicon. They're nothing more then made up buzzwords. Even as I write this, Blogger's spellcheck doesn't even recognize them as words. And even if at some point in the future it does, that still does not give them any form of legitimacy. They're made up words. The literal equivalent of baby talk. Which seems to fit the demographic for which these words are made to appeal to.

You can dance around like the little spaz that you are, but no amount of protest is going to get me to accept the pseudo-factual basing form which you draw this meaningless drivel from. This, along with your group's incessant need to redefine words such as "sexism" and "racism", is the unequivocal meanderings of mindless simpletons who have to retool language in order to give their position some shred of legitimacy.


To quote Flo-Rida, "it's going down for reaaaal..."
Political correctness, by it's very nature, does not expand free speech. It represses it. It restricts it. It sanitizes it. Am I getting through to you yet? No? Well then allow me to quote George Carlin: “Political correctness is America's newest form of intolerance, and it is especially pernicious because it comes disguised as tolerance. It presents itself as fairness, yet attempts to restrict and control people's language with strict codes and rigid rules. I'm not sure that's the way to fight discrimination. I'm not sure silencing people or forcing them to alter their speech is the best method for solving problems that go much deeper than speech.”

But wait! Here's another one, this time from Monty Python legend John Cleese “If people can’t control their own emotions, then they have to start trying to control other people’s behavior.”

And that my fellow Internets is the crux of the issue. Political correctness is not about "calling out oppressive power structures" or "allowing marginalized voices to be heard", it's about manipulating and controlling the language of others. Especially those who are "guilty" of saying, doing, or thinking the wrong things.

The people of which we see espousing this PC dogma, are the kind of people who don't want to be challenged. They don't want to deal with the existence of opposing views and ideas. So they set out to "correct" what they see as problematic language and behavior. Why do you think Franny's definition of political correctness included "avoiding words or behaviors"? People like her are attempting to control and manipulate the language of others, by influencing them into avoiding words and behaviors that they deem offensive. They're not interested in staying true to democratic principles of which we hold dear. Hell, if the current climate at Yale University is any indication, they're not even interested in upholding the 1st Amendment. The very foundation for which freedom of speech and expression is derived from.

"PC culture, treating others with respect, social justice warriors, whatever you call it, isn't prohibiting anyone's freedom of speech."

Damn if only there were a person in existence that you suspiciously left unaccounted for that could categorically annihilate your entire fictitious argument-- oh wait, there is!

Back in 2012, Gregory Allen Elliot, a man who dared criticize a feminist on Twitter, was charged with criminal harassment after he tweeted a number of critical messages directed towards feminist activist - and all-round intolerant harpy, Stephanie Guthrie. Recently however, as of January 22nd of this year, Elliot was thankfully found not guilty of all charges. But the fact that this even went to court to begin with is a clear cut representation of what the current social climate is.

Simply put: To criticize those in power, is to be met with retaliation with that power. Feminists, SJWs, and the regressive left, have taken to silencing any and all dissent within their borders. To question their authority is to be branded a heretic and treated as a social pariah.

My reasoning for writing this here rant is not merely because I find Franny's ideas objectionable - although for the record I absolutely do, it's because both her and those like her, are in positions of power that grant them the ability to influence public discourse. This isn't some rinky-dink hipster with a blog and a YouTube channel folks, this woman is speaking via a platform provided to her by MTV. A network owned by Viacom. If the ideas of which she is espousing go unchallenged, and we continue to allow this narrative of political correctness to be propagated in both the media and society at large, we could be looking at a grim future for our own personal freedoms.

While I'm not inciting you dear reader to any sort of political action, I do implore of you this: Do not allow these cultural authoritarians to silence you. If they speak an idea that you disagree with, challenge them on it. Debate them. Use your right to free speech to offer a viable opposing view. The answer to all of this isn't political correctness or censorship, it's more free speech.

And lastly - and this is just something I noticed while viewing this piece of horse cock, am I the only one that noticed that in virtually all of the animations popping up on the screen, white men are portrayed as the bad guys (or should I say oppressors) in these scenarios? I hate to play the tinfoil hat game here Franny, but seems to me like you might have some internal prejudice towards white people? That or your editor does. Either way, your argument is bad and you should feel bad.

Oh and by the way. Laci Green called, she'd like her absolutely everything back.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go and cash this white privilege check I received in the mail while simultaneously oppressing all women and minorities by merely existing. Toodles.