Saturday, November 8, 2014

Zak Attack Editorial: Could Bionicle be... Rebooted?


(Photo courtesy of Andrewnuva199)

(*NOTE* Originally I intended to post this earlier back when the official announcement of Bionicle's return was made, but some things came up and I wasn't able to do it at the time.)

With the news of Bionicle's return, a lot of things that have been on my mind have resurfaced over the last few weeks. Like what's LEGO going to do? What will they do? Will they continue the previous story, or will they just (as most fans fear) reboot it entirely? Well it may surprise you when I say this but... I think they might reboot it.

...

Now if you're finished ranting uncontrollably and gathering your torches and pitchforks and preparing to storm my house claiming me as a heretic, here me out.

Personally I'm not a big fan of reboots. Then again these days who is? But recently after doing some hardcore thinking, and watching Varderan's latest Bionicle Autopsy episode, I came to realize a something. Maybe a reboot is the best thing for Bionicle.


I mean lets face it, I don't think LEGO is going to want to continue where the Bionicle left off back in 2010, there would be just too much to explain on what happened in the previous events of the series. And newcomers to the Bionicle fan base would probably get bored with all the exposition being put in front of them. So maybe it's best that Bionicle start over from scratch. It would give the franchise a fresh new start, and depending on what story they're going to tell, they can probably pick and choose elements from the previous run to incorporate into the next generation stories.

Now for those of you who are inclined to believe that LEGO is just going to - for lack of a better word - "Hero Factory" the franchise by making all the stories too simplistic and the sets not as detailed and complex, I'd like you to read a particular quote that I think fits this sort of topic.

"We've all been disappointed by new installments of the stories we love. But with all this talk of filmmakers “ruining our childhood”, we forget that right now is someone else’s childhood. This is their time. And I have to build something that can take them to the same place those earlier films took us. [...] I’m not going to pass the buck if it doesn't work. This one’s on me." -Colin Trevorrow.

And honestly I think Trevorrow is right. Somewhere in the world there's a kid out there who will get a chance to experience Bionicle for the very first time in their lives. But the Bionicle they experience may not necessarily be the one we grew up with. It may just end up being something totally different then what we know to be Bionicle. And much like what Varderan describe in his video (and I may just be paraphrasing here a bit) it's time for the next generation of Bionicle fans to have their turn with the franchise.

Now granted a lot of us die-hard Bionicle fans may still be very nostalgic for the original look, style, and feel of the Bionicle from back in the day, but this new Bionicle coming in just a few short months may in fact have it's own look, style, and feel as opposed to it's predecessor, as well as it's own set of fans.

So with all that said, do I think Bionicle should reboot? Well if done right, I think a reboot may be the best route for LEGO to go with the franchise. Because honestly (and this is just my opinion here) I think the original storyline had a good run. Plus I think its best to leave Tahu, Gresh, Mata-Nui, and the others to the happy ending that they so greatly deserved.

Now personally this is just where I stand on the subject, and it's okay if you don't necessarily agree with me. But I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter. What do you think about all the new changes Bionicle has undergone, and are you okay with a reboot of the series? Comment below and let me know what you think.